Sunday 7 November 2010

#Nov '91 - Eric Clapton, 'Wonderful Tonight' (Live)"



"It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair..."


Although Clapton has varied his musical style throughout his career, it has always remained grounded in the blues; despite this focus, he is credited as an innovator in a wide variety of genres.
The 'live' version of Wonderful Tonight entered the UK charts in #Nov'91 although the original was included on Clapton's 1977 album Slowhand and released as a single the following year. Clapton wrote the song (September '76) about Pattie Boyd while waiting for her to get ready to attend Paul and Linda McCartney's annual Buddy Holly party.

"One night, we were going out but I couldn't decide what to wear. Eric had been ready for hours and was waiting patiently, fiddling with his guitar. He was so sweet, at least, in the early days. When I finally got downstairs and asked, "Do I look all right?" he played me what he'd written:
It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear. She puts on her makeup and brushes her long blonde hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?" And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."
For years it tore at me... Wonderful Tonight was the most poignant reminder of all that was good in our relationship, and when things went wrong it was torture to hear it." Patty Boyd from her autobiography Wonderful Today.

Download Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight' and other mp3 songs from Amazon


0 comments:

Post a Comment